Chestnut, Apple and Cranberry Focaccia Stuffing
By Roger Sitrin
Special thanks to Kate C. for taking notes while I cook and for reminding me to add in the herbs to this recipe!! Thank you Kate!
1 package of Williams-Sonoma Focaccia Stuffing
1 jar of Williams-Sonoma Roasted Chestnuts (cut into halves)
1 cup dried cranberries
2 apples (peeled and cut into medium dice)
1 onion (cut into medium dice)
3 stalks of celery (cut into medium dice)
4 thick slices of apple wood smoked bacon (cut into small dice)
8 ounces of your favorite beer (the darker the beer, the heartier the flavor!)
4 cups chicken stock fortified with 2 tablespoons of Williams-Sonoma Organic Turkey Stock Concentrate
3 sprigs Thyme
5 Sage leaves
1 Bay Leaf
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Start with a large Dutch oven (I use a Staub enameled cast iron Dutch Oven) on the stove top. Place the bacon in the cold pan and turn on the heat to med high.
- In a sauce pan, mix the stock with the stock concentrate and heat until simmering.
- Allow the bacon to render its fat and stir occasionally to ensure even browning. Careful not to scorch the bacon!
- Remove the cooked bacon bits and reserve for later.
- Check to ensure that the fond on the bottom of your pot is not burned then remove the bacon fat until you have about 2T left in the pan.
- Add 1T of canola oil to the pan to help raise the smoke point of the bacon fat.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté until the onion is translucent, (salt and pepper)
- Add celery and continue to cook for approx. 4 mins. (salt again)
- Add the beer and deglaze the pan, cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- In a separate bowl, toss together the stuffing, apples, chestnuts and cranberries and pour the vegetables from the pan into the mixture. Toss lightly careful not to make the stuffing into mush!
- Return to Dutch oven (if you prefer, you can do this all in the Dutch oven, it will be one less bowl to clean!)
- Add the hot stock, herbs and bay leaf.
- Sprinkle bacon bits over the top and cover.
- Place in oven for about 25 mins.
- Serve hot!